PIP – Personal Injury Protection

So you’ve been injured in a car crash. Who pays for your medical bills?

Now you might think, hey, the other person caused the crash so they should pay, right? Well, yes, but not until after you do. Here’s why.

The insurance company for the person who injured you is against you. In other words, they’re not paying a dime until you prove to them that they should pay. Because of that, they will want to wait until AFTER all your medical care is done, so they can examine evidence like medical records and bills for proof of what injuries were caused by this crash, the extent of those injuries, and what the total medical costs are.

Therefore, to get your medical care paid for right now, you have to look to other option, such as your own car or health insurance. The other person’s insurance may then reimburse your insurance company for these costs, but that will happen later.

So first check your own car insurance for something called PIP. Whether your policy includes PIP varies state by state. For personal car policies written in Oregon, for example, PIP is mandatory and the minimum coverage amount is $15,000. If your policy is from another state and you don’t have PIP, or you do but your PIP runs out, then your own health insurance is next in line to pay for your medical care. It is normally after these insurances have paid, and your treatment is complete, that you make a claim against the other person’s insurance and seek reimbursement for your losses caused by the crash.

As always, every case is unique, and what I just said may not apply to you. Therefore, before taking any legal action, you should call a lawyer who can advise you on the legal options in your particular situation.

Emery Wang

Emery Wang

Emery Wang has been a lawyer in Oregon since 2009. While attending Lewis & Clark law school, Emery worked as a Multnomah County District Attorney, and since then has been a full time personal injury lawyer.

Vames, Wang & Sosa Injury Lawyers focus on vehicle crashes, personal injury, and first-party car accident insurance claims. They have offices located in Gresham and Hillsboro.

Posted in